- fresh mild Italian sausage in casings (1 per person)
- 1 red pepper and 1 green pepper per sausage cut into strips
- yellow onions (use your judgement) cut into halves, then strips
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- a couple cans of Yuengling lager beer
- Martin’s hoagie rolls or hoagie rolls that are baked fresh daily from the bakery
- any sliced melting cheese like Muenster or Provolone
Cook the sausages (a wok is great for this recipe but a large skillet works well too) by getting the pan good and hot over medium high to medium heat. Use a little olive oil in the pan.
Remove the sausages and set aside. Add the sliced vegetables with a little more oil if needed. Put a few pats of butter on top and start cooking and turning them. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When the vegetables have cooked, put the sausages on top and cover with beer. Keep cooking until “96.5% of the liquid is gone”.*
Slice and butter the inside of the hoagie rolls and broil them 30 seconds, turn, 30 seconds (under the broiler).
Load them up with sausage and peppers, top with a good melting cheese and slide them back under the broil until the cheese melts.