This came from the book “Strong Women Stay Slim” by Miriam Nelson. It’s an older book and it’s still a great book based on research from Tufts University.
I tried this once using a food processor and the texture was a bit “mushy”. Cutting everything into match sticks gives this slaw a great crunchy texture.
Taste the peppers as you slice them to judge the level of heat you want to achieve.
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup jicama cut into match sticks
- 1/2 cup mango cut into match sticks
- 1 poblamo chili thinly slivered
- 1 carrot cut into match sticks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 to 4 jalapeno chilis thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to mix. Correct seasonings adding salt, honey and/or lime juice to taste. Cover and chill before serving.